Sunday, August 15, 2010

Delicious Designs

The crossroads I find myself in sends me traveling near to home and even nearer to my heart. I have the time right now and my love of architecture, design and antiques always sends my little heart all a flutter. It is likely that I enjoy the hunt more than the actual acquisition of things but if I could live in the design world every minute of every day, I'd have died and gone to decorating heaven.

My current fantasy is in carving out a niche for this fantastic Flatiron desk from Restoration Hardware and using it as a dining table.  The top is made from an old wooden door, and the iron legs satisfy my love of industrial-feel furnishings.  RH has a similar table slated strictly for dining but this one has a more interesting side detail to it and reflects better the size that I would need.  The best part about their new line and look is the price point, in my opinion, is affordable.  One can overdo the look that they inspire and it becomes cookie-cutter in an instant but pieces here and there are magnificent.  My only complaint about their furniture is most is sized for a castle, not a cottage.  A love seat, for example, in their Camelback sofa is 88 inches.  This size, in reality, is a normal sofa size.  But imagine this wonderful table as either a desk or, in my head, a very edgy and cool dining table.


While searching for finds, I came across a wonderful site which is new to me, however, not the design world...the site is called 1stdibs....with a tagline "the most beautiful things on earth"...isn't that a catchy name for an antique hunt?  The genius behind the site - Michael Bruno (who first cleaned up in the height of the real estate market, I'm told) makes me wish I had the idea first.  Instead...Mr. Bruno got first dibs.  If I had to lose out to someone, this would be the guy..  I digress.
http://www.1stdibs.com


The concept of this terrific source of goods is simple ...one stop shopping with the best dealers from all over....originally designed, I believe, to connect designers to dealers but there are also people of taste (one has to remain confident for one's own self-esteem, I think) who think discovering this site is like handing candy to babies.  Everything from folk art to mid-century wonders, jewelry and quilts to flea markets that stepped right out of Paris - one of my personal favorites is T.C. Donobedian's Paris Flea 
 (more on Mr. Donobedian in a later blog, I'm sure).  In the meantime, and to tease...see the meticulous showroom of Paris Flea in San Francisco.  His vast selection of interesting styles feeds the soul of the light-hearted and offers gorgeously delectable pieces de resistance....which keeps one coming back again for more.



For those designers out there, hunting for the perfect find for that difficult client, 1st dibs would be my store of choice.  Where else would you get mega selections of all types of furniture from every corner of the world, hand selected by discriminating and experienced eyes?  I personally enjoy owning those one-of-a-kind items from earlier times- those that have survived their pasts for decades or centuries...only to find their way to me.  Having extreme eclectic tastes myself, this is a haven for me.  While I may not buy (or I may), I certainly keep abreast of the current trends in design, as well as being educated about their relative costs.
And for those with more taste than money, it's a source to behold before heading out on that weekend jaunt to the local markets and day trips on never-ending HUNT.

How I found 1stdibs was through the August issue of Elle Decor and the article on interior designer James Huniford's weekend home.  My personal design taste is reflected in Ford's style, shown below - simple, straightforward and warm, yet unique and interesting:
.


AND....

American-interior-designers-huniford-ed0710-03.jpg



My searches always land me in interesting territory and this was, for me, like hitting paydirt!

No comments:

Post a Comment